Monday, August 6, 2007

Week 720: The Course of Humor Events

This week's contest was to sum up a historical event in a two-line rhyme or other clever and pithy epigram.

Here are my entries:

1775: On to Concord rode Paul Revere
(But stopped in Lexington to have a beer)

1987: "Gorbachev, tear down these walls,"
Reagan dared, "if you have the balls!"

1492: Columbus sailed the ocean blue--
Why he was cold I never knew

1492: Columbus sailed the ocean blue--
Why he was sad I never knew

44 B.C. They stabbed poor Caesar in the back
(for picking friends, he had no knack)

1925: Of shaving cream/Those signs did rave
You know the name/It's Burma Shave!

1967: I'll never forget that Summer of Love
(my deadbeat son still lives above!)

1967: That Summer of Love was so carefree
(At least until the pregnancy)

1909: Fortune cookies make their pitch
Confucius finally finds his niche

1879: Mrs. Edison was the first who said,
"Switch off the light and come to bed!"