Thursday, July 5, 2007

Week 707: What Would YOU Do?

This contest was to write a poem using only the 236 words that appear in The Cat in the Hat. I took that a step further, and wrote poems related to The Cat in the Hat.

The Cat in the Hat: Behind the Rhymes
We are all big now,
Yes, Sally and I.
Now we can tell you
The what and the why.

There was no tall cat,
No Thing One or Two.
The fish did not fall,
And said nothing, too.

We made it all up,
To mess with your mind.
We did it for fun,
And not to be kind.

You are the fish
That bit on our hook

We made out well
From this little book!

The Cat in the Hat (Epilogue)
I did tell my mother
What went on here that day,
And she said some bad things

Things I should not say!

She did not think it funny,
Not one little bit.
Oh, man, did she hit me!
She hit
hit
hit
hit!

Thump! on my back,
And Bump! on my head.
She hit and she hit
So her hand got all red.
And for day after day,
I had to sit on my bed.

Some Cat in the Hat limericks:

Our mother can not net a man.
(The last one she had, well, he ran.)
You know what I think?
Go get something pink

Put that gown with the dots in the can!

A slightly more risque version:

Our mother can not bed a man.
(The last one she had, well, he ran.)
Do you know what I think?
She should get something pink
That will get him to look at her can!

Some Cat in the Hat haiku:

Man-cat came to play
Why did I let him come in?
Mother can not know!

Cat has a tall hat
What do you think is in it?
Find out in Book Two!

I think I see Things
When did we get that big cat?
I will give up pot

That cat made a mess
We will be in deep do-do
Sally
she did it!

Mother is not home
We have the run of the house
Why not let him in?